Sunday, August 20, 2006

Time's Up!

This is it. It's time. Today makes one week to Ironman Canada. One week from today, I hope to be calling myself an Ironman. Of course, it might be a week from midnight when I do it, but still. My bib number is 2483. Strange. My bib number from last year was 2384. That is just weird.

You would think with me being in full taper that I would have had time to add to my blog. No such luck. I don't know how the rest of the blogging world does it. I simply cannot train for an Ironman, work full time, and still find time to blog. I've darn sure had precious little time to read anyone elses blog. My thanks and my apologies to those of you that stop by occasionally to see if there are any updates only to be disappointed. I have several posts started (usually as it relates to my training), but none I've been able to finish. I'm not sure I'll ever get them posted.

Oh, yeah. I turned 50 last Wednesday. Funny thing about that. Remember that Tanita scale post? The one that gives us our relative age? Well, while I was busy turning 50 chronologically, the Tanita scale was busy turning back the clock on me and I turned 30...even 29 in there somewhere. Yeah!

One other funny thing about it. My mother always told me that life begins at 40 and even at 20 I believed her. Once I turned 40, I agreed with her whole-heartedly. So, for my 50th birthday, Darcy gives me a card that tells me "since life begins at 40, that means you are only 10 YEARS OLDS!" Yeeehaaaaw! I'm only 10. When I mentioned this to someone else, they asked if I would have to go through puberty again. Oh, Lordy. Thanks. I think I'd rather face menopause than go through puberty again. Looks like I'll be staying 50. But, I have to admit, I'm more fit at 50 (even though I still weigh 10 or 20 pounds too much) than I ever was at 40, 30, or even 20.

So, I admit that, while I am significantly better prepared this year compared to last, I'm still more than a little anxious about this race. I have some high expectations of myself, like actually finishing the damn thing. However, since I'm one for numbers, let me share a few with you.





Swim (yds)
Hours
Bike (mi)
Hours
Run (mi)
Hours
2006
118700
54:46
2315.0
168:33
466.7
89:11
2005
141500
63:12
1253.3
95:37
403.9
80:12
Variance
-22800
-8:26
+1061.7
+72:56
+62.8
+8:59


I have quite obviously added traded off some of my swimming time for time on my bike. While I did have fewer yards swimming, I had significantly more miles cycling. Another interesting point. While I didn't have that many extra hours of running this year over last, the time it took to put in the extra miles is significantly less. To help compare and contrast, below is a table of my average times this year compared to last.




Swim (min/100 yds)
Bike (mph)
Run (min/mile)
2006 Avg. Pace
2:47
13.7
11:27
2005 Avg. Pace
2:40
13.1
11:47
Variance
-0:05
+0.6
-0:27


It must be noted that the above table should be taken with a grain of salt. There are so many variables in the mix. For example, you'll notice I'm 5 seconds per yard slower in the swim this year than last year. However, I spent more time doing kick sets this year than I did last year. On the bike, it shows I'm only a little more than half a mile per hour faster, but it doesn't show what the average terrain was or weather conditions. The only place where the comparison is more indicative of my improved readiness and fitness is on the run. While it's true, I only show a 30 second per mile improvement, over a marathon distance, that adds up to being a full 8 (almost 9) minutes faster.

So, all there is left to do is launder my workout clothes and pack my gear. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Time is up. There is no more training to be done. There are some short workouts left, yes, but that's just to keep the proverbial pump primed. Training time has come and gone. Now I must have faith in my coach that my training will carry me through the day (especially through the bike and onto the run course). Wish me luck?

25 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Flo uttered...

Pud, have an awesome race. I'll be following you on race day so knock 'em dead. You'll do awesome!!

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Born To Endure uttered...

I'll be following you all day on the net...have a great time, and good luck to you girl!!!!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Nancy Toby uttered...

Good luck!!! We'll definitely be watching and wishing you well! Remember us cheering you on when you cross over the timing mats!!!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) uttered...

Happy belated birthday, and good luck at IM!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Cliff uttered...

Good luck..

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Steven uttered...

Welcome back! And Happy Birthday!

My wife & I will both be watching for you and we'll cheer you on at IMC on Sunday.

She and I will be working the bike lot during the race so we'll try to be the ones you hand your ride to.

Best of luck!

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Backofpack uttered...

Luck? Luck! You are so well prepared that you are going to knock this out! Go for it Susan!

I'll be cheering you on, though I may not be able to watch it all day since I'll be finishing up my task with Rob. But as soon as I get home I'll be checking on you. Go! Go! And most of all, enjoy the experience!

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

I have been inspired by you all summer from WW- I am now training for a half IM for next year. Thank you.
Remember, it is not just about the race, it is the journey that gets you there - I will watch for you online and cheer you on from my computer room in Door County Wisconsin!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Unknown uttered...

It's too late for you to see this, but I will be thinking of you on Sunday. You have prepared well and trained hard and I have been inspired by your dedication all year long. Have a great race.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger SpeedLeopard uttered...

You go Susan! I know you are so much more prepared this year than last. You'll be great out there. Trust your training!!!!!! We're all here cheering you on :)

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger ShesAlwaysWrite uttered...

Woo hoo! Good luck tomorrow Puddy, I already pulled up your bib on Ironmanlive.com.... 'celstial wrangler?' Too funny!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger carolj uttered...

Hey Puddy!

It's race day, and we're all watching you online as you're out there rippin' up the course. You go girl!

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

I to am Watching with wonder and excitiment! You go girl! I've looked you up several times and said my prayers for you! Press on!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger ShesAlwaysWrite uttered...

Just got back from a ride hoping to catch your splits... looks like you had a lighting fast swim and are still out there tearing up the bike course. Here's hoping your day is going great!

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

She is in from her bike - way to go!!!!!!!

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

Puddy is now running - this race is hers!

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

Her running pace has slowed down some - it is going to be an emotional end (about 15:30 minute mile at 13.1 marker)

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

Ironman dreamer no more!!!!!! What an ending - I am crying!!!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger ShesAlwaysWrite uttered...

Woo hoo!! YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! Way to go!!!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Emile uttered...

yup, You done it. Im proud and motivated.
E

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

Puddy - did you get hurt on the run?? I was getting worried as time passed... r u ok?

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Born To Endure uttered...

Congrats GIRL!! You did it...Ironpuddyrat eh?? :-)

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

Congratulations Susan!

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous uttered...

Are you going to get the tatoo?

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Flo uttered...

Puddy where are you??? Great job on IMC!!! Can't wait to hear all the gory details!!!

IronPuddy!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home