Wednesday, May 17, 2006

INVASION!

Well, it felt like an invasion.

Wednesdays and Fridays are my swim/bike days. Usually, I do my swimming in the morning at the Y (where they have a wonderful 25 yard saline pool) and will ride in the afternoon. This morning, though, while I got up in time, I was simply not motivated to move quickly enough to get myself to the pool. Instead, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather we have been having and ride my bike to work.

I had a wonderful ride in. During lunch, I rode into town, grabbed my lunch from the Safeway, and rode back to work. After work, I rode home, after a little detour to add a couple miles to my ride.

That meant I had to swim in the afternoon. I don't like swimming when the pool is crowded with children, so I decided to wait until 9:00 p.m. when I knew all the kids would be clearing out and only the adults were left. When I arrived, there were still a few children/families playing, but there was an open lane, which I took. Within a few minutres, all the kids and parents had left the area. The only people left were a few high school kids and a couple of serious swimmers (me and one other person). This is what I live for. A quiet pool with a lane to myself.

A few minutes later, my solitude was soundly intruded upon. As I approached the end of the lane, I could tell there was someone on deck. I ignored them, did my flip turn and finished the lap. When I returned and got my feet solidly under me and my head out of the water, I saw several oriental men making their way to the kiddie pool. The kiddie pool? Well, whatever, so long as they stay out of my lane.

Not 5 minutes later, a bunch of women showed up! At this point, they all proceeded to congregate in the main pool and they had no compunction about barging into lanes without so much as a by your leave. My Y pool had been invaded by a chinese tour group! And they were really annoying. I mean, one gal had on a swim suit that had sequins on it with a flouncy skirt. C'mon! SEQUINS??? On a bathing suit?

Okay, so I reminded myself to take this as an opportunity to practice mental toughness and focusing skills. I managed the mental toughness in that I did my best to ignore them when they moved into my lane. I tried very hard not to be distracted by them sitting on the bottom of the pool and all the other antics that were going on. Eventually, I lost my concentration. I had no idea where I was in my workout. I no longer knew what set I was on, or even what repetition. I finally gave up and focused everything I had on doing a solid 500.

When I was done, I was supposed to do 6x50 of kicking easy, but I'll be damned. One of them stole my board! I gave up. I got out of the water and approached the lifeguard. I asked her if they had changed the adult lap swim times. She said they had not, that the tour group was just as big a surprise to her. In fact, she went on, normally it was pretty quiet in the pool after 9 p.m.

Well, maybe next time I won't skip out on mymorning swim. Lesson learned.

7 Comments:

At 5:31 AM, Blogger William uttered...

Great story! I've not had that bad of an experience yet, but I've had extremely slow people jump in my lane.

It's funny how it throws me off so easily. I forget which lap I'm on, why I'm there...etc.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger KLN uttered...

Yikes! But the lifeguard should have taken better control of the pool. I hate it when they let chaos reign (and people who shouldn't be in the lap lanes, taking them up). Grrrrr, on your behalf!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Backofpack uttered...

If they really were a tour group, there may have been a language barrier for the lifeguards. Okay, I'm probably a little defensive of the guards since both my sons work as lifeguards for the Y...However, son #2 got off at 9:00 last night, so he wasn't involved!

That said, I'm sure it was totally frustrating. It's probably like trying to run on the track while children with bikes ride by, people with dogs wander on the inside lanes, etc.

See you this weekend Puddyrat!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Flo uttered...

Oh my god!!! I would have come unglued. I have enough trouble focusing on laps in the pool (is there anything more boring???) they would have completely thrown me off.

Good for you though. Got your swim in and practiced ignoring insanity around you :)

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Cliff uttered...

Stole yoru board? That sucks. I am sorry to hear ppl like that. I hate it when ppl come in the pool and not respect the rules. Fine i can forgive them if they dont' knwo the rules. But some ppl are really inconsiderate.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Trisaratops uttered...

Wow--you have more patience than I do! I probably would have done some kicks nice and hard with big splashes....ha ha :)

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Ellie Hamilton uttered...

You get into the darndest sitcoms...

I was thinking of swimming this afternoon -- maybe I better go this morning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home