Sunday, March 05, 2006

Success Card #7

It shall be done -- sometime,
somewhere -- so, why not by you?
~Ophelia Guyon Browning

Indeed! Why not by me? We, all of us, I think, are often busy wondering when someone will do something about the state of our union, the state of world affairs, the state of poverty in the world, the state of hunger. Why can't we be that someone?

Okay, so maybe we have a busy life and it's all we can do to get by. Is there nothing at all we can do to make a difference to someone else? Even if it is just to pass on a smile?

In the first couple weeks after my mom passed away, I was busy quarreling with my siblings and working on cleaning my mother's house, when I had to lead a caravan, consisting of my brother driving a rented U-Haul truck and my nephew, to my home. Before I exited the park where my mother's home was, I saw a young woman walking along the shoulder carrying a large plastic red can. She was obviously after some gas. She also looked like she was having a bad day. I'm not prone to picking up strangers, but something about this poor girl spoke to me.

In spite of my role as lead, I stopped for this young woman. I offered her a ride to the end of the street, which was only about a quarter of a mile away. She thanked me and got in, with her gas can on her lap. I looked at her and her bottom lip just quivered and her eyes welled up with tears. I asked her her name. I think she said, "Tammy." I told her that whatever it was, it would get better, that things always work out. I told her that my mom had just died and I was fighting with my siblings, but it would all be okay in the end. So, too, would it be for her.

I think that my small gesture of kindness made a difference to her that day. I told her the way to repay me, was to one day do the same for someone else some day--a kind of "paying it forward."

I dropped this girl off at the end of the street, since I needed to make a turn and she claimed she didn't have much further to go. As she exited the car with gas can in hand, she wiped her tears, gave me her condolences, thanked me, and then offered some encouragement of her own. I'm hoping my words stuck with her. "Whatever it is, it will be okay."

I do NOT condone picking up strangers. But sometimes, somewhere, it's going to be done. Why NOT by you?

5 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Backofpack uttered...

Wow! Three new posts! I can't believe the cost for taking that tree down. Last time we had one done, in about '91, it cost $380 and it was a huge fir right next to the house.

As for "if not me, then who" it goes with this Margaret Mead quote:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I remind myself of that every day as I strive to raise my children to be good men, as I try to talk to parents about how they raise their children and in my interactions with others in my community. I know there are many people out there that are good people, polite, calm, thoughtful, giving people, and that if we live our lives the best way we can, that we can change our society. The trashy, gimme, vulgar society that we so often see hides the one I want to see.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Papa Tweet uttered...

Nice story. Thanks for sharing it.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Unknown uttered...

I always have a hard time dealing with the why not me questions. I see someone on the side of the road that needs help and I think should I? By the time I make up my mind it is too late and I figure it is my way of cowering out of actually doing something.

It's nice to see you at the track on Thursdays. Take care of yourself.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger seujan uttered...

Hi Susan!

Thanks so much for the link to your blog -- and the heads up about the New Balance Triathlon. I got permission from my coach and signed up so I will see you there!

I was so sorry to learn of all your recent losses. Please accept my condolences and I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

See you soon.

Seujan

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger KLN uttered...

Nice to see you back and around, hang in there, and extra hugs for the kitty. I was just there, and the loss still makes me cry.

Great story, and why NOT me, indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home