Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ironman Canada 2006 Race Report

Post Race

Just wanted to share a couple pics before I go into the race report.

People have asked to see a pic of my new tattoo. Mind you, I'm a 50 year old woman believes most tattoos should be reserved for thugs and sailors. But, I simply couldn't resist the allure of the M-dot tattoo. It was something I could take to my grave (or the crematorium) and show off in the nursing home when (if) the time should come. Only those who have completed an Ironman race are entitled to sport the tattoo.


Next, I want to share a couple images that greeted me when I arrived home. While I had friends with whom to share the IMC experience, none of my family including my husband were in attendance. All week long I had made a joke about my husband staying home to take care of the dog. This is entirely true. She is not well and I fear we will have to put her down soon. Like Flo's poor dog, Mz Nals, my Precious is becoming increasingly crippled. Going up and down stairs is a chore and running around the yard is no longer an option. So, Pat stayed home with Precious (yes, that really is my dog's name!).


In spite of this, we stayed in touch by telephone (oh, the miracle of technology). Unfortunately, on the day I was scheduled to arrive home, Pat had to go to work (he works a swing shift), which meant I would arrive home to a more or less empty (save for the dog and cats) house. As I approached my home, I got very excited. It just felt good to be in familiar territory again. Imagine my surprise, then, when I pulled into the driveway and saw this on my garage door. I was thrilled that my husband had gone to such simple pains to make a big deal out of my accomplishment.

My wonderful husband is full of surprises, though (life with him has never been dull), and he had one more up his sleeve. I was satisfied and content with the sign on the garage door. It meant the world to me and practically had me in tears. But when I entered my home and went into the living room, there were more streamers, a Supergirl (that's another story) balloon, and a congratulatory card. It was more than I could have asked for.

7 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Backofpack uttered...

That is so sweet! I guess having a husband like Pat support you is the prize!

I can't believe you managed to get that tattoo so quick. Were they set up right there at the race? Did you get it that very day?

And most of all, are you coming to coffee either Saturday or Sunday?

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Flo uttered...

I LOVE the tattoo!!!! Can't wait till I can sport my own (if ever).

What a sweet hubby.. I would defintely keep him :)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Amazon Alanna uttered...

Puddy,

I am so happy that you became an Ironman. I had my fingers crossed for you for a few years now, despite my disapperance from the WW boards, I would check here form time to time to see what was up.

Congratulation!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Unknown uttered...

That's awesome Susan! I guess since I am not a sailor I must be a thug, ha ha. Nice Tat!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Born To Endure uttered...

I am totally jealous of your tattoo..I wish I would have waited to do that...way too cool! Your husband is the bestest too...:-)

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Cliff uttered...

Your husband is great..

so u got that tatoo...are u a thug or a sailor?? :)

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger ShesAlwaysWrite uttered...

Wicked ink!! I can't wait until I earn mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home