Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Action Is Eloquence --Shakespeare

This is the first of my "success" cards.

According to Merriam-Webster's on-line dictionary:

Action is defined as:
...
4) An act of will.
5a) A thing done; 5b) the accomplishment of a thing, usually over a period of time, in stages, or with the possibility of repetition.
...

Eloquence is defined as:
1) Discourse marked by force and persuasiveness.
2) The quality of forceful or persuasive expressiveness.

We've all heard, "He's all bark and no bite." It usually means that the animal (human and otherwise) is perceived as harmless because he doesn't back up his yapping with any action. In the case of people, speaking and saying things without following through is nothing but noise. It's ineffectual.

It is one thing for me to say, "I need to lose weight." It is quite another for me to actually lose the weight. But I can't do that without taking the necessary steps. If all I ever do is parrot, "I need to lose weight, I need to lose weight," then I may be perceived as incapable and/or frivolous. My words are pointless, because I don't follow through.

It is only by doing that I can persuade others that I say what I mean and I mean what I say. If all I do is talk about it, then I'm just known as one who is "all talk and no action." But if I back up my bark with some bite, by putting my words into action, the results become obvious. What better way to show someone a thing can be done by simply doing it? What better form of persuasiveness, even eloquence, is there?

With that idea, I'll leave you with these words that are so profound to me, that I have included them in my sidebar since I started this blog:

"Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do,
begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

6 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Ellie Hamilton uttered...

'Fraid I'm "all go and no show" (especially on the weight thing, which has popped up on several blogs today..)

I like this one from Yoda:
"Do or do not. There is no try."

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger William uttered...

I have really focused on my word being good this year.

Its amazing how much power you have when you say you will do something and you always do it.

Thats why I am SO CAREFUL about giving it out now.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Unknown uttered...

Well said Susan.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Ironayla uttered...

This is totally me! I am a parrot :)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger carolj uttered...

Count me in as another parrot. Thanks for the inspiration, Puddy!

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous puddyfan uttered...

wow..... thanks. that was really something learn from and remember!


:o

thanks a lot puddy!

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home