Sunday, January 01, 2006

Monthly & Yearly Wrap-Up

Well, this was an interesting year for me. I started with a DNF at the Phoenix RnR Marathon in January. I had been having issues with my feet, and particularly my left foot, for about three weeks before the race. I was very concerned about it and saw the podiatrist. We couldn't determine that there was a stress fracture and decided to simply tape my foot in the hopes that would move the bones into the correct position and alleviate the problem.

When I went down to Phoenix, I went down with the idea of doing the half marathon even though I was signed up for the marathon. However, once I got down there, I just couldn't let the marathon slip through my fingers, so I gave it a go. Unfortunately, by mile 12 my foot was hurting too badly to go on. I stopped at the aid station there and they told me they suspected the stress facture of the fifth metarsal and did not recommend I continue. Since my primary focus for the year was going to be Ironman Canada, I happily withdrew as I did not want to cause any further damage.

In retrospect, I'm glad I opted to try for the full marathon course. Had I been on the half marathon route, I know myself well enough to know I would have gutted it out for the last 1.1 miles and possibly have hurt myself in the process. At least by quitting at mile 12 of the marathon route, it was inconceivable to go another 14.2 miles feeling the way I did.

My next DNF was at Canada. That was another huge disappointment. I had initially said all during 2005, that I was going to take 2006 off from IMs and just do some sprints and oly's with one or two half irons thrown into the mix for good measure. But within the span of seconds, I made the decision to sign up for Canada again. I was not going to let the course defeat me again.

I finished the year with my slowest ever, Seattle Half Marathon time. I can't complain too loudly, however, as I did just have knee surgery 8 weeks earlier. I guess I can say I was still rehabilitating. In fact, I'm STILL trying to get back some of that fitness. I'm hoping that with continued training AND continued weight loss, that I will get faster as time goes on.

So, began and ended 2005. While 2004 had been a year of PRs, 2005 was the year of the DNF. I DNFd at the Phoenix Marathon and DNFd at Ironman Canada. I'm hoping 2006 will be the year of no DNFs even if I get no PRs, though I admit to hoping for a few of those as well.

So, I think I had a great training month in December. I was in the pool twice a week. I got on my trainer three times a week. I even did a 3-hour CompuTrainer ride (yes, product review still coming) just three days before Christmas. It was gruelling, but I did get it done. I also ran three times a week. Most of them were short runs, and I frequently opted for my treadmill because of time and darkness constraints. Overall, my totals for December look like this:

Swim: 13,450 yards (6:43 hours)
Bike: 245.6 miles (16:38 hours)
Run: 45.9 miles (9:54 hours)

No, I don't move fast for the hours presented, but at least I'm moving.

I ended the year with the following totals:

Swim: 177,811 yards (80:44 hours)
Bike: 1,721.4 miles (130:00 hours)
Run: 533.0 miles (106:43 hours)

That's enough miles to get me almost all the way across the country! Okay, small potatoes to some of you other folks out there in blogland, but more than some others. Compared to previous years, the increase in my cycling has been significant even though my total distance and time in the other two disciplines has been less. But that is where I need to focus this year...on my bike.

Well, that's it for 2005. I think the most significant thing I did in 2005 was hire a coach. I have confidence that that is what will make the biggest difference between my success and/or failure at Ironman Canada this time. That and my willingness to do what is suggested/recommended.

I wish all the rest of you much success as well, whatever your goals and aspirations might be.

6 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby uttered...

And you'll also have us cheering you along every step of the way, remember!! :-)

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Tammy uttered...

Way to go... nice year! You'll get Canada next time!

Happy New Year :)

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Unknown uttered...

Here's to a year with no DNF's and I am sure that you have many PR's left in ya. Happy New Year!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Bolder uttered...

i've been reflecting as to what 2006 would mean to me if I DNF'd in Florida.

i think getting to an elite level of fitness is the real goal... just stand back and look at your yearly totals.

that's an achievement in itself.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Ellie Hamilton uttered...

Those DNF's were just practice.

WE ARE WITH YOU THIS YEAR!!!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Papa Tweet uttered...

I think 2006 will be the year of the PuddyRat. I admire your courage to sign up for IMC again. Now that is dedication. By the way, anyone with those kind of yearly totals is a stud.
Benny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home