Monday, January 02, 2006

Success Card #2

The great secret of success in life
is for a person to be ready
when their opportunity comes.
~Benjamin Disraeli



This made me wonder how many opportunities I've let slip by because I either didn't recognize them for what they were or because I wasn't ready. It also makes me wonder about the definition of success.

There are many that would define success in the way that Merriam-Webster has, i.e., the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence. But do I really need a lot of fame, fortune, or prestige to be considered successful? I think most people would agree with me when I say, "I don't think so."

In the process of writing about this particular quote, I found myself wanting to focus on "opportunity" or "success" when the real thrust of the message is all about being "prepared mentally or physically [or both, in some cases] for some experience or action." Now I find, I want to replace the word "life" with the word "triathlon." In my case, success in triathlon is equivalent to finishing at Ironman Canada (IMC).

Triathlon, most especially ironman distances, is all about conditioning. Conditioning is nothing but preparing; making ourselves ready. We must condition our minds and our bodies to accept hardships. Being ready for IMC means being focused enough to put in the necessary miles, yards, and time requird to meet the goal. It means getting up early when I would rather sleep in bed. It means getting on my trainer when I'd rather watch TV or read or do anything else except get on my bike...indoors. It means making arrangements for an early morning run when I'd rather sit home sipping coffee and reading blogs. But if I did the alterntives (sleeping, watching TV, reading blogs), then I wouldn't be ready for IMC.

I see IMC as an opportunity to prove that I have "mettle." Ironman Canada is a chance for me to show the world and, most importantly, myself, that I can apply myself without hesitation or delay; that I can train both my mind and my body for the rigors of the race. Training is about preparing oneself. And being prepared is what allows us to succeed.

1 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Bolder uttered...

great post! i hear yah!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home